This isn’t my first time in London, this isn’t even my first time in London this month. However, this is my first time travelling and visiting London as a vegan. I’ve been a vegetarian for the past 7 years and decided it was finally time to go all in. I’m excited, but nervous because I know how hard it can be hard to find food that fits within your lifestyle and budget. I’m hopeful that because I’m in London it shouldn’t be too hard to find vegan options. I’ve been living in the U.K. since September and nutritionally speaking it’s definitely different than North America. At restaurants I find it almost easier to find veggie food, but grocery stores tend to lack or way over-price basic vegan/vegetarian necessities. Needless to say I’ve been making lots of very basic recipes. I love cooking, but it can be frustrating when you go to three different stores and never do find the ingredient you need. It’s all a learning process though, I’ve become very flexible.
Right now I’m in-between living situations and am staying at a hostel in London for a few days. I had been planning on stocking up on pasta (because lets be real I’m a broke exchange student), but I just found out my hostel doesn’t have a kitchen! I specifically chose this one because I thought it did so that was a bit of a let-down. Alas, I’ll adapt. To be honest I love eating at restaurants. It’s probably one of my favourites activities, so I’ve been googling and listing a few places that I think I may try in the next few days. I’ve listed a few that I found below and I’ll let you know how it goes! I may not go to these exactly, but I’ll let you know where I end up.
- Tidbits: This one caught my eye because they charge you by weight. This is potentially dangerous, but I love the variety of options that buffet-style offers. http://www.tibits.ch/en/about/idea.html
- Govindas: This is run by the Radha-Krishna Temple. I’m intrigued. http://www.iskcon-london.org/visiting/govinda-s-restaurant.html
- The Grain Store: This one is slightly expensive and seems to be more vegetarian than vegan so we’ll see how it goes. http://www.grainstore.com/page/find-us
- Wild Food Café: Potentially out of my price limit, but I’m curious about their Medicinal Mushroom drinks. http://www.wildfoodcafe.com/restaurant/
- Farmacy: I’ve heard really good things about this restaurant and their food looks amazing. This may be a treat to myself one night. http://farmacylondon.com